A few cards placed in my box following our weekend services the past several weeks:
Why is there no cross? I don't know if it's a sanctuary or a theatre.
Why does it have to be so loud?
Please make both services family friendly.
It's very easy for me, week in and week out... 52 Mondays a year, 9 years running to have these kinds of "cards" on my mind when I go about doing the business of ministry.
But recently, I had the opportunity to read hundreds of cards which were pinned to the walls of our church as the culmination of a teaching series by Barbara Feil These cards were expressing our churches heart cries to God
* Pain in back, meakness
* One of my weaknesses is putting my happiness in material things
* My wife and me and health
* The lack of ability to let go of my own will and let God take over!
* To love my children much more with my heart and soul, please God help
* Lord, you know the hurt of not having an eartly father has allowed a hold in my heart and self esteem. Help me to know and feel that I matter to you
* Worry about what others will think of me
* Critical of others without looking at the LOG in my own eyes
* Anxiety about family, decision making, caring for my son. Self doubt, insecurity
* I don't understand why God chooses not to fulfill my dreams
* My weakness is a love for a wonderful non- believing man, that God has told me in order to serve his path, after 4.5 years of dating this man, I must leave him and cease contact.
As I head now to 13+ hours of prayer and long range planning with my ministry team the weight of these cards is quite sobering.
But, I realize too what an amazing responsibility and priviledge it is to be part of creating a place where people have time to connect with God, to "go here" and to speak these things to Him. It is a step toward Christ rather than what goes on with so many of us during the days and the week outside the hour on Sunday.