Tuesday, November 4, 2008

heading out

My alarm is set to ring in one hour.
Of course, I've already been up an hour because my head won't stop imagining what the next few days will bring...
This morning I leave for Houston and then on to Honduras Wednesday.
I am not afraid of the travel or of finding my way in a foreign country, these things exhilerate me.
But, if I am to be honest, I am afraid of the task that awaits me in Honduras. Who's crazy idea was this?
Why did I think I could do this?
What in the world was Larry thinking?

As I leave to do the Summit there are two major themes at play in my head.
One is all about me. Will I succeed? Will I fail? Will I live up to what Willow and Larry are hoping? Will the decision to "send me" have been a mistake?
The other theme, comes from my experience in ministry... be prayed up, show up and serve.

I know that my life in ministry has been so full of these moments and I know this is how God works. This is the way he designed ministry and His church to grow after all. .

I've been camped in Philippians lately and this morning this passage is just what I needed...
1-4If you've gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care— then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don't push your way to the front; don't sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don't be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

That verse is about as apt as it can get!!

April said...

And don't forget Philippians 4:6,7:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Janet, you've already done the hard part; you've surrendered your will to His. He has and will continue to do great and mighty things through you my friend!

Enjoy Honduras girl!