Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Dad's Obit...


Jay Robert Ferrin, 78, went home to be with the Lord, whom he loved and served faithfully Monday, June 23, 2008.

Jay was born in September l929 to Clayton and Dorothy Ferrin in Roswell, N.M. When he was a small child the family moved to California and made their home in the Long Beach/Garden Grove area, where he attended elementary school and graduated from Orange High School in 1947. He received his bachelor's degree from Chapman College and later his master's degree from Cal Poly.

Jay began his teaching career in Paso Robles in 1951 but was soon drafted by the U.S. Army, where he served as a chaplain's assistant at Fort Ord. After two years he returned to Paso Robles and taught for 44 years. He retired in 1997.

Jay was an accomplished musician, and played the piano, organ and musical saw. At age 16 he became a church organist and was in that position at Atascadero Gospel Chapel for the last 35 years. He was well known in the community for his musical gift and participated in many events.

Jay was active and served in various capacities in the Community Concert Association, Paso Robles Library Board, Friends of the Adobe, Rios Caledonia Adobe, and Pioneer Museum.

Jay is survived by his loving wife of 56 years, Louise; sons Alan (Valerie) of Pennsylvania and Jeff (Lynn) of Paso Robles; daughter, Janet (Michael) of Oregon; eight grandchildren.

He is also survived by brothers Franklin of Missouri and Herbert of New Mexico; brother-in-laws and sister-in-laws Don and Sylvia Charles of Paso Robles and Don and Marilee Churchill of Carson City, Nev.; and an extended family of many nephews and nieces.

A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, June 28, 2008, at the Paso Robles District Cemetery, with a memorial service at 2 p.m. at the Atascadero Gospel Chapel, corner of Atascadero Ave. and Curbaril Ave. in Atascadero.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Samaritans Purse, Friends of the Adobe, or Mt. Hermon Conference Center.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Janet,

I am sorry to hear your father passed away. I came upon your blog by chance, searching 'musical saw' on the Internet.
I wish I could have met your father and heard him play the saw. (I am a saw player myself).
Maybe some day you will post a photo of him playing the saw.
Though I've never met your Dad, I feel every person who plays the musical saw is a friend and I am saddened by his passing.
May you never know sorrow again.

Saw Lady (Natalia)
www.SawLady.com/blog

Miriam said...

Dear Janet, I too came apon your blog while looking up some choir info. I am so sorry for your loss. I understand the feelings that come with the loss. I lost my Dad almost two years ago. But knowing I will see him again,always makes me smile.I know one of these days you will also be smiling.Thinking of you, Miriam Storer

Jackie said...

Dear Janet, I am very sorry for your loss. I had Mr. Ferrin in 5th grade. He was my favorite teacher. Made me do my work. I was happy when my mother sent me this paso Robles page but was saddened when I saw the obituary. He was a great teacher and I will not ever forget him.